Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Angry Verbs!

I hope that all of my teacher friends out there are enjoying this warm weather as much as I am!  And maybe, just maybe, you're sneaking a FEW extra minutes of recess in each day...I know we've "lost track" for a few minutes here and there! ;)  Honestly, my kids have needed it.  I think their minds have already wandered off to Spring Break Land.

Once again I found a great lesson on Pinterest (which led me to this blog) that helped reinforce what I've been teaching about linking verbs vs. action verbs.  Each child chose an Angry Bird (which went they were sooooo excited to do) and imagined this particular bird's personality.  Then, each student wrote a story or a detailed description of the bird, even giving it a name. Then, we brainstormed a list of linking verbs we know and each child highlighted them yellow throughout the story.  Finally, everyone highlighted their action verbs a different color.  It was, simple, easy, fun and engaging. 



We hadn't yet worked on distinguishing between linking and helping verbs, so you'll so those highlighted here and there...but that's ok.  Baby steps! :)



Here is a link to the bird coloring pages, if you're interested.

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. Thanks for sharing it. I did this with my kids and they absolutely loved it. This makes writing so much more fun than the way we use to do writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome. I am always looking for new and creative ideas to teach this concept. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for this! a great plan!

    ReplyDelete